Thomas owned three properties on Wood Gate, and probably occupied the space next to the original Police Court, close to his original factory on High Street. In 1894, he unsuccessfully sought planning permission to build a wooden stable at the back of No. 72 Wood Gate, which was subsequently occupied by the single storey extension to Loughborough Magistrates Court. The other two properties were no doubt adjacent to No. 72 and may have provided an alternative access to his High Street factory.