Burton Street runs off Park Road, close to the Convent of the Sisters of Providence, had a number of houses along it well before 1869, when it was adopted and laid out by the Local Board along with the surrounding streets of Park Street, Park Place, Gray Street and Albert Place. A prerequisite to the laying out was that the then occupants were required to have an amount of stone laid across the existing un-made road. The residents objected to the excessive amount of stone required by the Local Board, claiming that they had for the previous twelve years “contributed their full quota to the highway rates without receiving any corresponding benefit”. As a consequence the Local Board agreed to reduce the amount of stone required to “four inches of rough stone to laid five feet on either side of the centre line of the road, and an upper coating of five inches of broken stone in the centre, with four inches at the sides, in lieu of the quantities called for in the original specification”. In 1881 sixteen properties in Burton Street were occupied, with one being built. By the time of Thomas Messenger’s death in 1899, twenty-three had been built.
Thomas owned four houses in Burton Street, Nos. 19, 20, 21, and 22, which are at the Park Road end of the street. As he moved into one of these in 1891, it appears likely that he owned if not only one then all four by that time and had probably owned them since they were built in the late 1870s. He might have even been responsible for building them. They are somewhat unusual for Loughborough, in that they are four storied, with a separate front entrance to a half-basement which contains the kitchen. The raised ground floor is reached from the street via steps and storm porch. The entrances are paired, forming gabled extrusions to the front elevation. The top floor lies partly within the roof space, with windows in the gabled extension at the front and in a small gable dormer windows set across the eave line set into the roof at the rear. The brickwork on the front, side and rear of the houses uses a stretcher bond, which would indicate a cavity wall. The houses were built around 1878 and whilst not unique together with Nos, 75 and 77, Park Road are one of the earliest examples of cavity wall housing in the district. The end wall facing onto Park Street, has tumbling in brickwork on the gabled part of the raised area, which details the line of the chimneybreast. It also has Flemish garden wall bonding on the lowest part. The windows have a mixture of segmental, semi-circular triangular arches, with tapered bricks or terracotta and/or tapered mortar joints. Moulded terracotta, carved brick modillions below the roofline provide decorative features, as does the double diagonal herringbone brickwork at the top of the gable extension at the front. Nos. 19 and 20 have semi-detached brick extensions to the rear, built around 1899, in Flemish garden bond. The row of four houses does have a number of similarities with the semidetached part of Nos. 75 and 77, Park Road and could also have been designed by Alfred Burder, as at one time he lived further along the Street.
In March 1879, Thomas Messenger was advertising two new villas for let, describing them being in the “most healthy part of Loughborough, near Grammar Schools, with pleasant view”. Each villa consisted of a kitchen, dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, five bedrooms, bathroom, box-room, lavatory, W.C., and garden. Gas was laid on together with hot and cold water as well as rainwater. It is likely that these two villas are part of the row of four; however, it is conceivable that they refer to two of his Park Road properties.
In 2012 one of the four houses was offered for sale being described as comprising of 5 double bedrooms, storm porch into entrance hallway, lounge, sitting room, dining kitchen, dressing room, shower room, family bathroom, two separate WC’s and private landscaped rear gardens.