On 10th July 1856, Thomas Goode married Jemima Emily Taylor (1833-1867) at Emmanuel Church, Loughborough. Jemima was born on 29th April 1833 at Buckland Brewer, Devon and was the second daughter of John Taylor (1797-1858) and Amelia Jones (1800-1880). John Taylor, the founder of the famous Taylors’ Bell Foundry of Loughborough, was born in St. Neots, Huntingdonshire and the youngest son of Robert Taylor (1758-1830), himself a bell-founder. The firm of John Taylor succeeded that of Messrs Newcombe, Watts, Eayre and Arnold, of Leicester and St. Neots.
On 14th April 1825, John Taylor married Amelia, daughter of the Reverend Pryce Jones (abt. 1751-1831), Vicar of Abthorpe, Northants and Sarah Jemson. John and Amelia soon moved to Buckland Brewer, Devon, where he set up a bell foundry. Whilst in Devon, they had three, possibly four children, John William (1827-1906), who took over the business when his father died, Robert Edward (1830-1856), Jemima Emily (1833-1867) and possibly Elizabeth (abt. 1828). The couple then moved to Oxford where they had two further children, Amelia Jones (1837-) and Pryce Jemson Jones (1835-1862), who helped his brother run the business following his father’s death in 1858.
The family moved to Loughborough around 1839, where John Taylor established his bell foundry, initially in Pack Horse Lane, where they also lived; then in Freehold Street, where it remains. The move to Freehold Street occurred between October 1859 and August 1861 when the foundry in Pack Horse Lane was offered for sale, being described as occupying the whole length of the south-west side of Pack Horse Lane with the Taylors residence adjoining and facing onto Southfield Road. Following John Taylor’s death in 1858, his son John William took over the running of the business. In 1861 he was living in Freehold Street with his wife, Elizabeth and three children, John William junior (1853-1919), Mary Elizabeth (1855-), Pryce Thomas (1860-1940). At the time, he was employing six men and one boy, which has increased to ten by 1871. By this time, he had moved to live at No. 29, Chapman Street, which was just around the corner from his foundry. By this time, there were four more children, Charles Stuart (1862-1920), Edmund Denison (1864-1947), Horace Newcombe (1868-1924) and Owen Jemson (1870-1950). All the children were still living at home still in Chapman Street at the time of the 1881 census, with the exception of Pryce Thomas. John William junior and Edmund Denison were working in the foundry, Charles Stuart as a bank clerk, Horace Newcombe and Owen Jemson still at school. By 1891, John William senior had, together with his wife, daughter and four sons, moved away from the foundry to Shelthorpe House, an eight bedroomed house on the western side of Leicester Road, just north of Loughborough Cemetery.
At the time of their marriage, Thomas described himself as a plumber living in the cottage in the High Street, adjacent to his works and Jemima was living at home with her parents.
Whilst later he became a Plymouth Brethren, in 1859 he was a member of the Loughborough Parish Church (All Saints’ with Holy Trinity) restoration committee, subscribing £20 towards the estimated £6,500 required.
In 1861, Thomas and Jemima were still living in the cottage behind No. 24, High Street, with Agnes, their 2-year-old daughter. Jemima died, aged 33, on 23rd January 1867, leaving Thomas with three small children Agnes aged 6, Hugh Major aged 2 and Margaret aged 4 months. Jemima was buried in Loughborough Cemetery, Leicester Road, alongside her parents and brother, Pryce.
Following the death of his wife, Thomas continued to live at his cottage close to his factory, until the late 1860s when he moved several hundred yards away to No. 5, Leicester Road. This was located on the corner of Leicester Road and Barrow Street, fronting directly onto the pavement. It was part of a small terrace of three houses, between Barrow Street and the Wesleyan Chapel. All three houses were built of brick of three stories, using Flemish bond and contemporaneous with each other. All had gardens at the rear that stretched down to an entrance to a Court that ran off Barrow Street. No. 5 was of sufficient size to be able to sleep 12 people when in the 1880s it was used, for a period, as a boarding house. Following Thomas Messenger’s departure in around 1872, it was occupied by Henry Deane, a solicitor and clerk to both the Loughborough and Rushcliffe District Board’s. The terraced row, later converted into three retail outlets, was demolished in 2009 to make way for the Loughborough Inner Relief Road.
- He was apprenticed to Edward Arnold, a bell-founder of St. Neots, Huntingdonshire. ↑
- John Taylor & Co.’s Bell Catalogue 1894. ↑
- The Derby Mercury, 12th October 1859; The Nottinghamshire Guardian, 22nd August 1861. ↑
- Census. ↑
- 1871 Census. ↑
- It was built in 1866 by Mr. Richard Warner Hole of Quorn Lodge, near Loughborough. It was placed up for auction in March 1889, and described as a suitable as a family or hunting residence, with three reception rooms, eight bedrooms, and standing back from the Leicester road in its own 14 acre grounds. The house was knocked down and replaced by a small housing estate which included Wheatland Drive, Croome Close, Avon Vale Road and Wilton Avenue. ↑
- The Derby Mercury, 17th August 1859. ↑
- Sir George Gilbert Scott was the principal architect. As part of the restoration the box pews were removed and replaced by pews in the nave, aisles and transepts. The east window was enlarged. Although the church reopened in 1862, the work was not completed until a year later. ↑
- 1881 Census. ↑
- Gray’s Loughborough Almanac & Street Directory 1873. ↑